The Hertz Corporation
- Quick Reference Guide
- Scope and Controllers
- Data collection (what & how)
- Purposes for processing
- 3rd party recipients
- International transfers
- Cookies and Online Advertising Choices
- Data retention and integrity
- Access, correction, and portability
- Withdraw consent or Complaints
- Contact Us
- This policy covers the information We obtain from you in connection with Our vehicle rental and other associated businesses, which identifies you as an individual.
- This policy does not cover information that cannot be used to identify you as an individual.
- Information We collect (what & how)
- We, Our advertisers, licensees, business partners, and discount sponsors may collect information from you in a multitude of ways, including, but not limited to, phone calls, customer service contacts, mobile apps, websites, and other sources.
- We collect information from customers during the process of reservation and rental transactions, such as name, address, and payment card information.
- Personal data to provide you with exceptional rental services, including, but not limited to;
- Name, phone number, address, date of birth
- Driver’s license or other forms of identification
- Pictures and facial scans, some of which may be considered biometric data under applicable laws
- Employer information (number, address, contact information)
- Credit worthiness or other background information
- Purposes for processing
- Information you provide will be used to provide you with the services you request.
- We will use the contact information you provide to communicate with you.
- We use “cookies” and other electronic tools to collect statistical information about your use of Our websites. This information is used for research and other reasons, generally to better help Our customers by showing Us how We can improve Our websites.
- We do use personal information for Our own analytical purposes.
- 3rd Party Disclosures
- We may provide your information to designated third-party service providers, rental discount sponsors you utilize, Our licensees, and other entities.
- We may sell or otherwise monetize your information to unrelated third parties where permitted by law.
- We may share your information for marketing purposes to those with which We have an agreement to do joint advertising, subject to your consent.
- International Transfers
- Your information may be transferred out of your country or region of residence to countries such as the United States for processing and storage.
- Your information may be transferred out of your country or region of residence upon your instruction.
- We use reasonable measures to safeguard Personal Data from theft, unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification.
- We aim to maintain appropriate physical, procedural and electronic safeguards to protect your Personal Data.
- Data retention
- We generally keep customer information for as long as We believe necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or as allowed by law.
- Access, correction & portability
- You will have access to review or update Personal Data that is collected from and about you, so you can change any information that is incorrect.
- We will try Our best to accommodate your request, but We reserve the right to impose certain restrictions and requirements.
- Withdraw consent or complaints
- Where We use consent as a basis for processing, you can always withdraw that consent.
- If you feel that this policy has been violated, We will work with you to resolve your concerns.
- We will notify you when We make material changes by posting a note on the homepages of Our websites.
Our goal is to provide Our customers with excellent services. We do business in many countries and We aim to comply with all privacy laws that apply to the data We collect and use. This policy is subject to compliance with local law. Where this policy provides a higher standard than local law, this policy will control how Hertz handles your Personal Data. By providing your Personal Data to Us, Our designated service providers, or other third parties as noted within this Policy, you consent to Our use and disclosure of your data for the operational and other purposes listed in this Policy.
The Hertz Corporation, and its specific rental business affiliates and subsidiaries (including Dollar, Thrifty, and Firefly brands and associate entities) are data controllers for purposes of this Policy. However, We also operate a network of licensees in provision of Our services worldwide and are affiliated to many other companies through ownership. As Our licensees, affiliates, and entrusted third-party vendors are independent companies, they are not owned or controlled by Us and are not covered by this policy. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of Our licensees, and other third parties with whom you may transact.
This Policy covers the information We collect about you in connection with Our vehicle rental businesses, which does, or can be used to identify you as an individual (“Personal Data”). It does not apply to information that cannot reasonably identify you as an individual. For example, but without limitation, aggregated anonymous data, computer operating systems, aggregated preferences, vehicle identification numbers, etc. are not Personal Data.
Supplemental Touchless Facial Scan Disclosure, Consent, and Release found here.
Our websites are not directed to individuals under the age of 13, and We do not knowingly obtain Personal Data from such individuals.
We, both directly and through Our service providers, business partners, discount sponsors, licensees, advertisers, and booking channel providers, collect Personal Data that you provide on Our websites, on third-party websites, on applications, and offline in connection with any inquiries, reservations, rentals, purchases, or services. Information collected about your use of Our websites, applications, or other websites may be combined with personal or other information about you from other online or offline sources. We also will collect Personal Data across all the devices you use to access websites or applications of Us and Our designated service providers.
Providing your Personal Data to Us may be required due to a legal obligation which could be a statutory or contractual obligation, may be on a voluntary basis or may be necessary for us to enter into the contract with you, depending on the purposes for which we collect and use your Personal Data as set out in this Privacy Statement. However, if you do not provide your Personal Data to Us this may result in disadvantages to you, e.g. we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. However, unless otherwise stated, not providing your Personal Data will not result in legal consequence for you.
- a. TYPES OF INFORMATION COLLECTED: The types of information collected regarding you and your interactions with Us may include, but is not limited to:
Personal Information Technological Information Rental Information Your name,
Date and place of birth,
Driver’s license or other ID or other photograph,
Information that may constitute biometric data, such as facial scans,
Credit score and history,
Mobile device identifiers;
The state or country from which you accessed Our websites;
The specific webpages visited;
The date and the time of a visit;
The websites you visited immediately before and after visiting Our websites;
The number of links and specific links you click within Our websites;
The functions you use on Our websites;
Any reservations, updates, purchases, or other transactions through Our websites;
The data you view or download from Our websites; and
The number of times you view any particular advertisements
Payment card information,
Video of you and interaction with Us,
Membership organization number,
Frequent flyer number,
Employee ID number,
Employer name and contact information,
Rental or purchase location,
Geographical areas visited,
Preferences and usage information,
Purchase prices and details,
Data related to claims
Sensitive Data: We, both directly and through our service providers, business partners, discount sponsors, licensees, advertisers, and booking channel providers, may collect certain Personal Data that constitutes sensitive data in some countries, such as data about health conditions or membership of a trade union. Depending upon applicable local law, We may be unable to process such sensitive data without your consent. Data about your health conditions is regarded as sensitive in many countries. If you ask Us to accommodate a disability, such as by provision of hand controls, or if there is an accident and We need to work with insurance and claims management companies relating to any injury you may incur, We may need to process data about your health conditions. Similarly, in the EU, at least, your membership of a trade union or similar organization is regarded as sensitive and We may need to process this information if you use a CDP Number that only members of that union or organization can use.
- b. METHODS AND SOURCES OF COLLECTION: We, both directly and through Our service providers, business partners, discount sponsors, licensees, advertisers, and booking channel providers, may collect your information through a variety of methods. These methods may include, but are not limited to:
On Line; Off Line Our websites; Our kiosks;
Our mobile “apps”;
Our official third-party social network pages;
Your computer’s web browser;
Third-party social networks;
Calls to or from Our reservation, customer service, emergency road-side assistance, customer contact or member care centers;
Interaction with Our various licensees, affiliates, and subsidiaries, including car sales and other businesses;
In-person at rental locations;
In-vehicle or in-equipment technology or through other telematic devices;
When you join Our membership programs;
In connection with a reservation (even an abandoned or interrupted reservation);
A rental of a vehicle or equipment, or your purchase of a vehicle or equipment;
Reservations you make with Us through licensees, travel agents or brokers, online or in-person;
Transactions you complete with Us, Our licensees, and agents including options you take, charges you incur and any incidents or accidents that may occur;
CDP Sponsors or sponsors of promotion codes, affiliation, or special discount codes;
Consumer reporting agencies;
And other companies that have business relationships with Us, such as Our licensees, affiliates and business partners, including airlines, hotels, and insurance companies.
Claims Management service providers (either affiliated directly with Us, or operated by a third-party)
- c. UTILIZATION OF COOKIES AND OTHER ELECTRONIC TOOLS: We and Our service providers, business partners, discount sponsors, advertisers, and advertising servers may place, view, or use "cookies", web server logs, web beacons, pixel tags, or other electronic tools to collect statistical and other information about your use of Our websites and other websites. This information may include information described above in Section 2.a
If you have deleted and disabled cookies, these uses will not be possible to the extent they are based on cookie information.
- d. WEB ADVERTISING: We, Our designated service providers, or third-party advertisers or their advertising servers, may place or recognize unique cookies on your computer or use other electronic tools in order to help display advertisements that you see on Our websites or on other websites. Information about your visits to, and activity on, Our websites and other websites, is used, alone or in combination with other information, to display on your device screen advertisements that may be of particular interest to you. We may use web beacons, pixel tags, or other such technologies provided by third-party advertising companies, to help manage and optimize Our online advertising and product performance. These technologies enable Us to recognize user visits to our websites, and to learn which banner ads bring users to Our websites.
As the internet and other eCommerce channels continue to develop, We may deploy and utilize different types of technologies to collect data regarding your visit or usage.
- e. VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS: Please note that the rental vehicles you operate may collect personal information about you. We are not responsible for these activities, and such collection (and use) is subject to the vehicle manufacturer’s policies and notices.
- a. OPERATIONS AND SERVICES: We, both directly and through our service providers, business partners, discount sponsors, licensees, and booking channel providers, may use your information to provide you with the services or products you request from Us.
We may use your information to communicate with you regarding any reservation you initiate or rental transaction; your membership/status in one of Our membership programs; or changes to the terms or features of any of Our membership programs to which you belong.
We therefore process your Personal Data for these purposes to the extent necessary to perform our contract with you or to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract with you.
For United States Residents, so that We may communicate with you, you give Us your consent to call you on or send text messages to your mobile telephone/device. You also consent to Our use of auto-dialers and pre-recorded messages in connection with any such telephone call or text message, including calls or texts to mobile telephone numbers. We will not charge you for such calls or texts.
Hertz may take action on the basis of your driving behavior and driving behavior data (including, but not limited to geolocation, speed, mileage, braking, and damage data) derived from in-vehicle telematics and other devices or gauges or on the basis of other criteria relevant to your rental and usage of Our vehicles. Actions may include suspension or termination of your ability to continue to rent vehicles from Hertz or its affiliates. Hertz may also provide or sell this information to third parties.
- b. OUR MARKETING: We, both directly and through Our service providers, business partners, discount sponsors, licensees, advertisers, and booking channel providers, may use your Personal Data to provide you with marketing information, special offers, and promotions via various means including e-mail, in accordance with applicable law.
Where We have obtained your consent to send these marketing communications to you, We therefore process your Personal Data for these purposes on the basis of your consent. However, where permitted by applicable law We may lawfully use your Personal Data to send you such marketing communications (including via email) without your consent. Where permitted by applicable law We may also process your Personal Data for these marketing purposes where necessary for Our legitimate interests, which include promoting Our products and services, special offers and promotions which may be of interest to you.
- c. THIRD-PARTY PURPOSES: As part of Our Services, We have engaged with third-party organizations that sponsor the CDP, member, employee, or other number used by you to complete a rental or purchase (“Sponsoring Organization”). As a result of Our relationship with these Sponsoring Organizations, We may be under an obligation to provide the third party with details about you and your use of Our services as they relate to your relationship with the Sponsoring Organization.
We Process your Personal Data in relation to Sponsoring Organizations to the extent necessary for performance of our contract for rental or purchase where you use a CDP, member, employee, or other number.
- d. NORMAL COURSE OF BUSINESS: We may also process your Personal Data and other information if such processing is necessary:
(a) to comply with the law or in response to a subpoena, court order, law enforcement request, or other legal process; (b) to protect the interests, rights, safety, or property of Us or others; (c) to enforce any terms of service on Our websites or the terms and conditions of any rental, purchase, or utilization; (d) to provide you and others with the services or products requested by you or your designated representative, and to perform other activities related to such services and products, including billing and collection; (e) to provide you with special offers or promotions from Us that may be of interest to you, where permitted; (f) as part of a business transaction where all or some of Our assets are bought, sold, or otherwise transferred by act of law or contract; or (g) to operate Our systems properly.
- d. LINKS TO THIRD PARTIES: We may provide links to third-party websites, or may be linked to from third-party websites. Since We do not control third-party sites, and We are not responsible for any information you may provide while on such sites, We encourage you to read the privacy policies on those websites before providing applicable third-parties with your information.
- e. LICENSEES: We may provide your Personal Information to Our licensees when it is necessary to complete a reservation or rental, to assist with a customer service issue, or to perform any other activities related to open or previous services or products which We have provided to you.
- f. GENERAL COURSE OF BUSINESS: We may also disclose your personal and other information to unaffiliated third parties if We believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary: (a) to comply with the law or in response to a subpoena, court order, law enforcement request, or other legal process; (b) to protect the interests, rights, safety, or property of Us or others; (c) to enforce any terms of service on Our websites or the terms and conditions of any rental, purchase, or utilization; (d) to provide you and others with the services or products requested by you or your designated representative, and to perform other activities related to such services and products, including billing and collection; (e) to provide you with special offers or promotions from Us that may be of interest to you; (f) as part of a business transaction where all or some of Our assets are bought, sold, or otherwise transferred by act of law or contract; or (g) to operate Our systems properly.
The Hertz Corporation and its subsidiaries are committed to the secure transfer of data internationally. Despite Privacy Shield being invalidated, Hertz upholds its Principles of Notice, Choice, Accountability for Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation, and Access. Further, Hertz implements the European Commission Standard Contractual Clauses and similar agreements relating to countries outside of the European Economic Area in order to allow Personally Identifiable Data to be transferred to Vendors, affiliates or subcontractors. You can request a copy of these standard contractual clauses by contacting us as set out in "Contact Us" below.
Many browsers are set to accept cookies by default. You may be able to set your browser to disable cookies, or alert you when cookies are being sent. Many mobile devices allow you to disable the ability for geo-location information to be collected from your mobile device. The help function on most browsers and mobile devices contains instructions on how to set your browser to notify you before accepting cookies, disable cookies, or disable the collection of geo-location data.
You need to set each browser, on each device you use to view websites. If you disable cookies or refuse to accept a request to place a cookie, it is possible that some parts of Our websites or other websites will not function properly, and the advertising you receive when you visit Our websites or other websites may not be tailored to your interests. We may not respond to a web browser’s “do not track” signal, or other mechanism that indicates a request to disable online tracking of individuals who use or visit Our websites.
We adhere to the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising. To "opt out" of advertising cookies placed by the Network Advertising Initiative's ("NAI") online behavioral advertising member networks, and thereby limit the tracking of your online activity and the targeted advertising you receive, please click here.
To opt out of advertising cookies for Your Online Choices if you are based in the EU, please click here.
Our designated service providers assist Us with advertisement display functions and related analytics for Our websites. To view information or opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising, please click here. Note that even if you exercise choice for targeted advertising, you will still receive general online advertising. Information regarding you and any interactions with Us may be collected and utilized to provide you with targeted advertising on the web.
In addition to the options provided by your mobile operating systems, you may opt out of the collection of information on mobile apps as follows:
- Uninstalling the app. You can stop all collection of information by the app by uninstalling the app. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the Mobile Application marketplace or network from which you downloaded the app;
- Opt out of interest-based advertising. See the instructions below or contact Us for information about how to opt out from the use of information to serve targeted advertising by advertisers and/or third-party network advertisers. Note that the effect of opting out of targeted advertising will be to prevent targeted advertising, but will not prevent you from seeing all advertisements. Information may still be collected and used for other purposes (such as research, online services analytics or internal operations, and to enforce your opt-out preferences):
- For Apple users: iOS 7 or higher, you can change your settings in the following location: Settings > Privacy > Advertising. iOS 6, you can change your settings in the following location: Settings > General > About > Advertising. For further information please see Apple’s website here
- For other major mobile platforms: Open the platform account settings, select “Ads”.
- Opt out of location data. Go to “settings” on your mobile device to opt out of the collection of location data.
- Opt out of cross-app data collection. The Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) offers a separate choice tool for the collection of cross-app data on a mobile device for interest-based advertising and other applicable uses. To exercise choice for companies participating in this choice tool, you can install the DAA’s AppChoices app.
- a. We use reasonable administrative, technical, personnel, and physical measures (a) to safeguard Personal Data against loss, theft, unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification; and (b) to ensure the integrity of your Personal Data. To help Us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of any logon IDs and passwords, Member numbers, or other identifiers or credentials you may have set up or were provided with in connection with your participation in or use of Our products, services, or websites.
As you may be aware, there is no completely secure method of transmitting or storing data. Although their physical characteristics are different, postal mail, telephone calls, text messages, faxes and transmissions over the Internet or wireless networks all present possibilities of loss, misrouting, interception and misuse of the data that is transmitted. If you have reason to believe that any account with Us is no longer secure, you must immediately contact Us.
We try to strike a balance between the security of your data and your convenience. As a result, We may sometimes use a method of communication that is less secure than a less convenient alternative. For example, but not limitation, We may send you an e-mail or a text message in unencrypted form (i.e. instantly readable) because many of Our customers are unable to access encrypted (i.e. coded) e-mail or messages. This means that Our message, if misrouted or intercepted, could be read more easily than encrypted messages. Such messages may contain Personal Data. Please do not include confidential information, such as your credit card number or account passwords, in any e-mail or text you send to Us or on any posting you make to a public area of a third-party social network page, especially since any such posting immediately becomes public. For a more secure way to communicate with Us over the Internet, please click on the “Contact Us ” link on any of Our websites.
- b. We retain personal data about Our customers for as long as necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, or unless otherwise allowed by law. Information is stored and accessed in various locations, and cloud services and storage may be utilized. Servers which store information are primarily located in the United States and Europe, although storage may occur in other locations as well.
We may retain your Personal Data as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the Personal Data was collected. We may also retain this Personal Data as required by law or contract, in order to fulfill Our legal obligations and protect Our legal rights. However, once the purpose for the collection is no longer valid, and there is no legal reason for Us to retain your Personal Data, you have the Right to be Forgotten and may request Us to delete your Personal Data. You may make this request by contacting Us via the mechanism provided below in the “Contact Us” section of this Policy. If We are unable to delete your Personal Data due to one of the reasons described in this Policy, We will provide you with the reason We are unable to fulfill your request.
EUROPEAN UNION "EU" RESIDENTS
You can make a request to us to exercise any of these rights by contacting Us at the at the details set out in "Contact Us" section below.
California's "Shine the Light" law - Civil Code section 1798.82 - permits residents of California to opt-out of disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You may choose to opt-out of the sharing of your Personal Data with third parties for marketing purposes at any time by submitting a request in writing to Our contact address below. Please note that this opt-out does not prohibit disclosure made for non-marketing purposes. California law also permits residents of California to request and obtain from Us once per calendar year, free of charge, a list of (i) the third parties (if any) to which Personal Data was disclosed for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year and (ii) the categories of Personal Data disclosed to those third parties.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), you have the following rights:
- (1) the right to access your Personal Information and request certain Personal Information We have collected about you in the preceding 12 months including (a) the categories of Personal Information collected about you; (b) the categories of sources providing that Personal Information; (c) the categories of third parties with whom We have shared that Personal Information; and (d) the business purpose for collecting that Personal Information; and (e) the specific pieces of Personal Information we collect, use, disclose, and sell. You may make such a request up to twice in a 12-month span;
- (2) the right to request we delete your Personal Information no longer necessary to fulfil our legal obligations or protect Our legal rights;
- (3) the right to opt out of the “Sale” of your Personal Information We have collected. If you exercise that right, please note that pursuant to the CCPA We may have to subsequently inform you that you need to opt-in if the sale of your Personal Information is required to complete a transaction you have initiated. If opting-in is required, We will provide you with the necessary instructions; and
- (4) the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of your rights under CCPA.
To make a request click here or call 888-777-5870. The link will take you to an interactive webform that you can complete and submit to make a request for information that We will then verify; if you use the telephone number, you will be guided through a process that will allow you to submit a verifiable request. Before completing your request, we may need to verify your identity or the identity of your authorized representative. Please note that there are circumstances in which We may not be able to comply with your request pursuant to the CCPA, including when We cannot verify your request and/or when there is a conflict with Our own obligations to comply with other legal or regulatory requirements. We will notify you following submission of your request if this is the case.
If you are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns with us, you may contact the FTC with your concerns.
If you are an EU resident and you have an unresolved concern about Personal Data that We or the FTC have not addressed satisfactorily, We have committed to cooperate with the panel established by the EU Data Protection Authorities to serve as Our independent dispute resolution body for the Framework.
EU Residents may make a request to exercise individual rights through the online webform here.
California residents may make a request to exercise individual rights through the online webform here.
Alternatively, please contact Us by emailing email@example.com, or for EU/UK/APAC residents - firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to the address below if you have any questions, wish to exercise your rights of access, or seek other assistance as described above.
Data Protection Officer
Hertz Europe Limited
11 Vine Street Uxbridge, Middlesex,
UB8 1QE, UK
EU Customers SAR Handling Team
Hertz Europe Service Centre Ltd
Swords Business Park
Co. Dublin, Ireland
The Hertz Corporation
8501 Williams Rd.
Estero, FL 33928
We do business in many countries and aim to comply with the privacy laws applicable to the Personal Data we collect and use.
Click here for California Residents.
Click here for Hertz Touchless Facial Scan Disclosure, Consent and Release